Joe,

1)      SCE does take over for WSUS although you can still access the WSUS
console from a SCE server for certain activities.

2)      Yes there is a slimmed down OM agent that gets installed to managed
clients during discovery. This agent does not apply to SNMP devices you choose
to manage.

3)      You can monitor anything SNMP related as well as all Windows services
and many different applications that have MPs (management packs) written for
them. There is an IIS MP and a SQL MP. There are also vendor specific MPs from
Dell, HP and IBM for monitoring servers and their hardware.

4)      The server MPs will show you whatever the particular vendor makes
available, so it is hard to be specific. The basic Windows OS monitors will
show things like HDDs that are almost full etc.

5)      There is some basic network monitoring of network devices built into
SCE via the SNMP monitors. And there are additional 3rd party Cisco MPs that
you can use to get more specific info from your hardware. (Not sure about
non-Cisco MPs at this point.
If you think of any other questions feel free to let me know.

Tim
Microsoft MVP - SCOM/SCE 2007