Hey Rod, if you bought a new laptop then your Intel proc is x64 capable.
As Chris already replied, going from the mobile AMD to the mobile Intel
platform is probably what made the difference.

From: Rod Trent [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:38 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: 64Bit Vista on laptop?

The HP's are good laptops.  However, I recently had to run out and buy a
brand new one, due to the old one's hard drive locking up due to heat.

I had x64 Vista on the old laptop, opted for 32-bit Intel processor this
time, and I can see an amazing difference.  The 32-bit processor and OS
actually runs applications better.

Here's my rant about it...

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/rtrent/archive/2008/04/21/what-an-amazing
-difference-in-computers.aspx