"John Hornbuckle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 05/12/2008
03:53:29 PM:

> Well, it?s moot that a crappy system being sold by a vendor is good
> enough to run XP. It?s also good enough to run Windows for
> Workgroups and DOS?but that?s not the point.
>
> Yes, Vista has higher hardware requirements. Just like XP has higher
> requirements than Win9x had, and just like Win9x had higher
> requirements than Win3x had. Every OS that comes out is likely to
> have higher requirements than the OS before it.
>
> But honestly, Vista?s hardware requirements aren?t crazy high. As I
> mentioned before, I?m running it at home on a Pentium D processor?
> which is a very modest CPU by today?s standards. Vista works just
> fine with it. The biggest issue with the hardware vendors, as seen
> in the ZDNet piece, is the crapware installed at the factory. The
> author of the article got the Sony laptop working perfectly with
> Vista without changing the hardware at all.

Really ... I have a Pentium D, 3GHz, 2M RAM. You think if I bumped the RAM
to 4G that Vista would be OK with it? I mostly use this PC for
photoediting (Photoshop CS3), and video editing (which in my case is
converting PAL to NTSC, or making a DVD out of AVI files, using Nero 7).

Feel free to reply offlist ....