This should answer most of your questions:

<http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2008/01/30/SharePoint
-Licensing.aspx>

If the article itself does not, the references at the bottom of the article
will.

You need to be VERY careful about external connector content. It must ALL be
available externally. And if you aren't using FBA (that is, SharePoint
built-in authentication), you'll also need an external connector for Windows
Server and SQL Server. Those dollars add up FAST.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

MCSE/Exchange MVP

http://TheEssentialExchange.com