a) Use DFS share for MSIs installed from GPOs

b) If you have an AD domain, then use startup/login scripts configured in GPOs,
not in the user account properties of AD. The scripts are stored in the GUID
folder named for each GPO, not in the NetLogon share. You can store the actual
executables on a DFS share. The executables will then be replicated according
to your file replication policies to your nominated file servers, not to DCs
(which I think gives you more flexibility)

Cheers
Ken