On 12 Jun 2008 at 19:07, Oliver Marshall  wrote:

> Well, in the usual way, it was running google desktop AND windows
> desktop (im no fan of the former, but quite a fan of the latter). Either
> way I've removed both and it still happens.
>
> It's running NOD32 as its AV which doesn't appear to have any impact on
> the other 30 laptops at this site.
>
> I've been using Task Manager to try to track it. The problem is that, as
> usually happens, task manager grinds to a halt when the disk is being
> used, only firing up to live when it returns to normal. CPU use during
> this time is fine though.

Perhaps one of the sysinternals tools, probably "Disk Monitor", or maybe
"Process Monitor" which has logging capabilities, might help more than Task
Mangler.

DiskMon for Windows
    DiskMon is an application that logs and displays all hard disk activity on
    a Windows system. You can also minimize DiskMon to your system tray where
    it acts as a disk light, presenting a green icon when there is disk-read
    activity and a red icon when there is disk-write activity.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896646.aspx

Process Monitor
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

--