I've been sent in to clean up a couple installations where they put SBS on a
VM, including the data store volumes.

In both of these cases, ended up with 474 errors in ESE... which according to
MS is generally caused by a hardware (disk subsystem) problem. There being no
physical disk subsystem that the VM sees, I'm thinking it's a problem with I/O
delay that causes store database corruption.

So, don't do that.  Use external storage of some sort. (iSCSI has been very
good to me).

Sorry if this seems like a simple no-brainer, but I know someone out there is
doing it wrong, at least twice that I've seen and had to fix.