Here's what we do:

- offer users the web interface.  We have many staff in residential
locations with broadband connections.  This works for them and they are
happy they can finally get to their files on the file servers.  I like
this option as I can set the web interface to time out.

and/or

- not sure if PS 4.0 has it, but 4.5 has it and it works great:  the
Program Agent.  Can be used internally or externally.  For internal
users we have the agent auto-logon.  For external users, we have them
use the Citrix Access Gateway VPN client then login.  You could probably
use whatever VPN client you have though and then have users login to the
agent.

We don't present a desktop or any users.  We make no promises about
desktop or appearance - just that the application will be available.

Tom

>>> "Joe Heaton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 8/7/2008 11:29 AM >>>

Scenario:

We have Citrix Presentation Server 4.0, with 2 published apps at the
moment.
We also have an old Citrix server, running 1.8 Metaframe, which is
acting as a remote desktop for our Executive Director.
We have received a shipment of 7 new laptops.  Two separate situations
to consider:

1)       One of the laptops is going to the Executive Director (Our
head muckety-muck).  He currently is using Citrix Program Neighborhood
to access a published desktop on our old Citrix server (1.8 Metaframe).
My thoughts on his situation are to setup a mobile VPN for him, and just
have him VPN in, and voila, it’s like he’s sitting at his desk.
2)       Another laptop is going to a person who says they need to be
able to access the published apps while on the road.  I have tested Web
Interface, internally, which seems ok, but we don’t have an SSL cert for
it.  Should I make a redirection within IIS, setting it up so that
outside users would hit it as a sub-page of our public site (i.e.
https://www.etp.ca.gov/citrix ( https://www.etp.ca.gov/citrix ))?  Or
should I go with a VPN there also, and have them connect as they do
normally, through a shortcut on the desktop?

We don’t have Secure Gateway, and I don’t think we’re going to purchase
it for a handful of people, so that is not an option.

The VPN would be using my Watchguard x750 firewall’s built-in mobile
client VPN feature.

Any suggestions/tips/advice is appreciated, as I need to come up with a
good, secure, viable solution soon.

Thanks,

Joe Heaton
AISA
Employment Training Panel
1100 J Street, 4th Floor
Sacramento, CA  95814
(916) 327-5276
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
copies of the original message.