On 16 Aug 2008 at 11:07, Durf  wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Taking a little informal poll about compensation for after hours /
> weekend works. This is mostly geared at consultants, so if you're an
> onsite IT guy, please indicate.
>
> ----
> If you work after-hours on-call, or are expected to carry the beeper,
> how are you compensated?
>
> 1. None, just man up and be an IT cowboy and glad you have a job.
> 2. Flat fee for being on-call.
> 3. Overtime or time-and-a-half bonus for hours actually worked.
> 4. Straight hourly at my normal rate
> 5. Flex time - no extra compentation, but I come in late the next day /
> take a day off later in the week.
>
> Thanks all. Yes, I'm on the beeper this weekend (OK, there's no actual
> beeper) so it's on my mind. :)

I'm a consultant, working for myself (not a "cnosultant" employee of a large
consulting shop).

My office voicemail pages my cell phone so I am on-call all the time already.

I charge time-and-a-quarter for any work evenings and weekends.  Several of my
clients are golf courses and often need support "right now" on weekends; seems
fair to them to charge extra if I have to take time away from family stuff, and
it means they only call on the weekend when they really need support.