There are going to be times when custom software will require the installing
user to be the one using it later.  Right now Blackberry desktop is a pain
for me.  For those we've done this:

1. Create a GPO to modify the BUILTIN\Administrators group on the local
workstations such that the local admins include, Administrator,
domain\Domain Admins, domain\LocalAdminGroup (Computer Policy: Windows
Settings: Security Settings: Restricted Groups

2. Create a security group within the domain called domain\LocalAdminGroup

3. Whenever you feel like it you can move users in and out of the
LocalAdminGroup and their rights will elevate or decline, after a restart of
course :)

Here is how we've handled the three objections you listed:

Windows update via WSUS

Java updates via GPO  (it's  a pain to keep updated, but it's worth it)

Antivirus updates via AntiVirus server