Hi Folks:

We see an odd issue here with some of our Dell Optiplex machines, and one Dell
Dimension.  Most of these units are two years old or older.  What happens is
that the user turns on the  machine, the fan goes into overdrive, (sounds like
a 1U server starting), and then nothing.  The user turns the PC off, waits 30
seconds or so, then can usually turn it on successfully.  This is periodic on
these problem PCs.  These are GX260 and GX280 units mostly.  I think the
Dimension is a 4400 or similar.  We haven't been able to determine the cause.
Firmware is current, diagnostics run clean, too.  Whatever it is the newer
units don't seen to have this problem (yet).

Suggestions?

Tom

Tom Miller
Engineer, Information Technology
Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board
757-788-0528
Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
message.