From: Tom Miller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:14 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Weird issue with older Dell PCs

Hi Folks:

We see an odd issue here with some of our Dell Optiplex machines, and
one Dell Dimension.  Most of these units are two years old or older.
What happens is that the user turns on the  machine, the fan goes into
overdrive, (sounds like a 1U server starting), and then nothing.  The
user turns the PC off, waits 30 seconds or so, then can usually turn it
on successfully.  This is periodic on these problem PCs.  These are
GX260 and GX280 units mostly.  I think the Dimension is a 4400 or
similar.  We haven't been able to determine the cause.  Firmware is
current, diagnostics run clean, too.  Whatever it is the newer units
don't seen to have this problem (yet).

Suggestions?

Tom

Tom Miller
Engineer, Information Technology
Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board
757-788-0528

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
copies of the original message.