From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 11:07 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: $700B?

Track down as many "loan officers" as possible and play grab ass-et with
them!  (Hundred million $ bonuses/salaries for screwing up???)  Then
disappear 'em to Gitmo...

<rant>Here's the thing.  Let's suppose I'm super wealthy.  (If I were, I'd
not be a sysadmin!)  I pay cash for a new house and car.  I still have a
substantial sum in mutual funds, money market accounts, and CDs...

Now, some hucksters come up with "creative financing" and convince $30k/yr
folks they can take out a $350k loan.  It will be at, say, 1% interest,
and their payment (wild guess here) is $350/month.  They're told it's an
ARM, and the rate will go up a point.  Not to worry - houses are going up
in value; they can re-finance against the increased value.

Well, the buyer thinks, "a 1% increase in my $350 payment is only $3.50".
WRONG!  The "1% increase" means that 1% interest now becomes 2% - his
payment doubles!

Meanwhile, other hucksters keep paving over the world's greatest farmland
for more McMansions.

Other hucksters buy up all these sub-prime 1% loans, package them, and put
them on the world market.  They're sold to dang near every major financial
institution in the world because what actually happened was never
considered...

SO, with all those McMansions, the population ran out of people who would
buy them, so they sit empty.  Someone does want to buy a house, and these
new empty structures have had their prices slashed - supply far excedes
demand.

Meanwhile, this drags down the value of any and all houses.  Those
sub-primers find that, at the time their $350 payment becomes $700, their
$350,000 McMansion is now worth only, say, $175,000 (but they owe
$350,000).  They walk away (literally), so the house is now vacant.  Folks
default on mortgages, so there is no more money to be lent (for not only
mortgages but for business loans as well.)

Meanwhile, the house for which I paid cash has also gone way down in
value.  If my neigbors are all moving out, leaving their houses vacant,
then squatters or salvagers descend upon the neighborhood.  My house is
now worth even less, and I am now in a high crime area.

Meanwhile, those bundles of mortgages everyone bought?  Well, they're
pretty close to worthless now.  Consequently, my mutual funds begin losing
thousands per month.  Banks are no longer lending, so the interest rates
on my CDs and money markets approach nil.

So, as I approach "retirement age", my assets (the house I thought I could
sell to move into a tiny place as well as my investments) are no longer
there.  I obviously don't retire, but if the cash-flow situation results
in my company folding (and me out of work), ...?

Note that although the USA is most deeply affected, the fact that these
bad mortgage packages were sold world-wide affects the economies in the
rest of the world as well.

So, although it might seem satisfying to "let the rascals rot", the
situation is going to take down everybody unless some action (preferably
the correct action!) is taken.</rant>
Richard McClary, Systems Administrator
ASPCA Knowledge Management
1717 S Philo Rd, Ste 36, Urbana, IL  61802
217-337-9761
http://www.aspca.org