Savvy users (with admin rights) will come to realize all they have to do
to change the screensaver is replace whatever file you specify in the
GPO with whatever file they want..  :-)

________________________________

From: Tom Miller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:54 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: AD GPO to lock screen

Thanks.  That what I was thinking.  We currently used a forced screen
saver so this change will be of no consequence to my user community.

>>> "James Winzenz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/21/2008 4:48 PM >>>

You would actually need to specify the following settings, if you want
to a) ensure that a screensaver is specified and b) that it is password
protected, forcing the user to unlock their workstation when resuming
from the screensaver.  All options are under the following:

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Control Panel | Display

Screen Saver (enabled turns on screensavers, prevents users from
changing)

Screen Saver executable name (requires you to specify a standard
screensaver that is going to be on all desktops)

Password protect the screen saver (to force the user to press
Ctr+Alt+Del and unlock their workstation)

Screen Saver timeout (how long to wait before the screensaver turns on
and therefore locks the workstation)

You can get away with not specifying #2, but if a user does not have a
screensaver specified and you turn on the other settings, no screensaver
will be selected.  The best option is to do all of these, but this will
kill any users' special screensavers (prolly a good thing, come to mind
. . .)

Thanks,

James Winzenz

Infrastructure Systems Engineer II - Security

Pulte Homes Information Services