From: Evan Brastow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:47 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Going back to XP?

Because I don't feel anyone on this list has anything better to do than to
answer my silly questions... :)

Just took delivery of my first Dell in years (I've been using HP Workstations
for about 6 years but wanted to give Dell a try again.)

It's one of their gaming systems, actually, but it will do well for my graphics
work. 3GHz Core2 Extreme processor overclocked to 3.67GHz, 4GB of RAM, dual
750GB hard drives, dual 1024MB ATI Radeon graphics cards, etc... etc...

Sounds nice, right?

Also comes with Windows Vista (there was, of course, no other option when
ordering.)

Great, so I feel like I bought a new Cadillac and the nav system is a
Lite-Brite with dysfunctional pegs.

So, what I'd like to do, obviously, is go back to XP. But I'm wondering if
there is any legal way to do so? I know I can't transfer an XP license from my
old system that had XP on it, and I don't think I can buy XP at stores anymore.

Does Microsoft still allow you to "downgrade" (as if going from a Lite Brite
with dysfunctional pegs to a working Etch-A-Sketch is a downgrade) from Vista
to XP if you call them?

Thanks,

Evan