It sounds like they need a script to walk to HR, pick up papers, say goodbye,
be escorted to their car. If they truly can't operate a calculator they are
probably more danger than value. In this job market you should be able to
replace them with more valuable people easily.

And before anyone calls me cold hearted, I was recently laid off and unemployed
for 9 months. I agree that most of the companies probably hired the best
candidate they had. In hindsight I worked out for the best this way, too.

As a former line manager I learned to take advantage of poor economies to hire
people I couldn't afford normally. They could develop things internally we
never could have with previous staff, and generally convinced senior management
they were worth the large raises that they should get as the economy improved.
It's an inexpensive way to demonstrate just how valuable such people can be.
I'm frankly hoping that my position will turn into another example of that over
the next couple of years. I'm working at my best level to demonstrate what I
can do. I'm sure that I'm far from unique in that perspective. I know a few
co-workers that are thinking similarly. There are probably others that I don't
know well enough to have such conversations yet. I'll bet most companies are
the same way.

This is no time for keeping people that can't do the job, or only barely. This
is the time to talk with your managers and develop a plan for hiring the best
you can afford, and have a plan for keeping those that prove their worth.

Steve