Currently fighting the same issue, with no luck. Thankfully this is just a
server we host installation packages on. OldServer and NewServer.

I have static dns and wins entries for OldServer pointing to the IP address of
NewServer.  \\OldServer from start run on any desktop usually brings up 'You
were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. If joining a
domain, go to system in control pane to change.....' other times it won't
connect.

Very odd and what you describe and what I have done should work. I suggest
testing it as much as you can before you pull the trigger. And tell me how it