Thanks to all for the feedback. For some reason, I hadn't thought of DFS, even
though I already have the infrastructure in place. Duh.

That definitely sounds like the way to go, so I'll give that a shot.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hornbuckle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 10:07 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Problems using alias for server?

We're using a combination of folder redirection and roaming profiles, with
users' data stored somewhere like \\oldserver\sharename. That server has an
external PowerVault RAID system attached to it, and that's where "sharename" is
located.

"Oldserver" is at the end of its lifecycle and needs to be decommissioned. This
means I need to move the PV to the new server, which means that
\\oldserver\sharename won't work anymore--it'll need to be something like
\\newserver\sharename.

So here's what I was thinking of doing... I'd like to create a DNS record for a
new, generic server name--maybe "profiles"--and point it to the IP address of
oldserver. Then I'd reconfigure users' accounts / AD settings to point to
\\profiles\sharename. After giving that some time to make sure it works and
everyone's account is looking for that new, generic server name and their
profiles and redirected folders are working fine on the old server, I would
move the PV over to the new server and change the DNS entry for "profiles" to
point to the IP address of the new server. The idea is that the move would be
transparent to the users and their computers. And a few years from now when I
need to once again relocate their stuff, I would again just change the DNS
entry to keep the change transparent.

Is there any reason this shouldn't work? Or that it's just not a good way of
accomplishing what I want?

John Hornbuckle
MIS Department
Taylor County School District