I got antsy and called HighPoint Technologies tech support - they said
that for the default config using mirrored drives, taking one of the
drives and connecting it to a 2nd system should be fine. The only time
this would be a problem is if the card was configured with a setting
called "disk spin up" which if configured, will prevent the drives
from spinning unless they are connected to this specific raid card -
but he said that setting is rarerly used. I'm keeping my fingers
crossed and will give it a shot.