From: Andy Crellin [mailto:andy.crel...@lcdisability.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 11:29 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: All AD Accounts getting gradually locked out

OK, here's a teaser...

All of our AD accounts are gradually being locked out. I have one guy searching
for locked out accounts and unlocking them (and they do not get re-locked out)
but with 2500 accounts this is more than a PITA. Now, this stinks of a brute
force attack on an enumerated list of accounts on the network (we allow 10
attempts then lockout for 30mins), but we can't find _anything_ that looks like
this. To compound matters, we have also had a small outbreak of WORM_DOWNAD.AD
which has been contained and managed well, but I think this is a red herring as
that worm's symptoms are nothing like what we are seeing (and there is no
correlation).

Does anyone know of a way to find out what processes are attempting to make a
logon attempt (we have about 10 DCs spread about the place) to an account -
bearing in mind it could be any one of 2500 accounts? Also, is it possible to
find out where the logon attempt that caused an account lock came from?

Cheers, and TIA,

Andy.

Andy Crellin
Technical Services Manager
Leonard Cheshire Disability
Telephone: 01904 479200
Email: andy.crel...@lcdisability.org

Change the way you see disability. Find out more at
www.CreatureDiscomforts.org<http://www.creaturediscomforts.org/>

Our London Marathon places are almost sold out!
Call 020 3242 0376 now to reserve one of the last few places available, or
e-mail eve...@lcdisability.org<mailto:eve...@lcdisability.org>

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Leonard Cheshire
Disability does not accept any liability for the content of this message. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Leonard Cheshire Disability. If you have
received this transmission in error, please contact the sender and delete it
immediately.

Leonard Cheshire Disability is a company limited by guarantee, registered in
England no: 552847, and a registered charity no: 218186 (England & Wales) and
no: SC005117 (Scotland) VAT no: 899 3223 75. Registered office: 66 South
Lambeth Road, London, SW8 1RL.

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or communication of this message
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
attachments. Thank you.