From: John Hornbuckle [mailto:john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us]
Sent: 08 January 2009 17:15
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: All AD Accounts getting gradually locked out

http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-257980.html?tag=nl.e539

John Hornbuckle

MIS Department

Taylor County School District

318 North Clark Street

Perry, FL 32347

www.taylor.k12.fl.us

________________________________

From: Andy Crellin [mailto:andy.crel...@lcdisability.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 11:29 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: All AD Accounts getting gradually locked out

OK, here's a teaser...

All of our AD accounts are gradually being locked out. I have one guy
searching for locked out accounts and unlocking them (and they do not
get re-locked out) but with 2500 accounts this is more than a PITA. Now,
this stinks of a brute force attack on an enumerated list of accounts on
the network (we allow 10 attempts then lockout for 30mins), but we can't
find _anything_ that looks like this. To compound matters, we have also
had a small outbreak of WORM_DOWNAD.AD which has been contained and
managed well, but I think this is a red herring as that worm's symptoms
are nothing like what we are seeing (and there is no correlation).

Does anyone know of a way to find out what processes are attempting to
make a logon attempt (we have about 10 DCs spread about the place) to an
account - bearing in mind it could be any one of 2500 accounts? Also, is
it possible to find out where the logon attempt that caused an account
lock came from?

Cheers, and TIA,

Andy.

Andy Crellin
Technical Services Manager
Leonard Cheshire Disability
Telephone: 01904 479200
Email: andy.crel...@lcdisability.org

Change the way you see disability. Find out more at
www.CreatureDiscomforts.org <http://www.creaturediscomforts.org/>

Our London Marathon places are almost sold out!
Call 020 3242 0376 now to reserve one of the last few places available,
or e-mail eve...@lcdisability.org

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Leonard Cheshire
Disability does not accept any liability for the content of this
message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Leonard Cheshire Disability.
If you have received this transmission in error, please contact the
sender and delete it immediately.

Leonard Cheshire Disability is a company limited by guarantee,
registered in England no: 552847, and a registered charity no: 218186
(England & Wales) and no: SC005117 (Scotland) VAT no: 899 3223 75.
Registered office: 66 South Lambeth Road, London, SW8 1RL.

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.