Not sure why they disconnect, but I see it as well.

Just a suggestion to relieve user frustration - you can set their VPN dialer
to re-dial when disconnected and set the interval it waits. If you set it
with a short enough interval, the users may be able to live with it until
you figure out why you get the re-sets. At least sometimes, the re-dial can
be fast enough to avoid XP discovering that mapped drives are missing.

Network Connections
VPN listing
Properties

HTH!