We ues APC as well.  Only failures I have had to deal with are batteries at
least 3 years old and some of the UPS's are on their 3 or 4 at this point.
As for server or rack installs the smallest we use are the 3kVA's I have 2
for our servers dedicated to only deal with them.  I wish I had the budget
for a third but ....  Anyway I was in the same boat and power always seems
to be an issue when management and architicts get together.  They always
seem to think when you request dedicated power that means you can just not
have 2 outlets in the same room on that circuit.

Jon