On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Miguel Gonzalez
<miguel_3_gonza...@yahoo.es> wrote:
> Finally someone reflects what is the real situation.
> the power management tab exists in the group policy apparently only for Vista.
> What can we do in XP?

  My understanding is that you are trying to disable the Standby and
Hibernation states on Windows XP.

  I do not believe this is easily possible with features "built in" to
the OS.  It may be possible to script something, but I suspect you
would have to delve relatively deep into Windows power management
internals.  There may be third-party products which can do a better
job.

  Another possibility is to avoid doing backups of workstations at
all.  Use features such as Roaming Profiles, Folder Redirection, and
NTFS permissions to make sure all user data is synchronized to a
server which is backed up.  That's what we do, and it generally works
well for us.  Everybody is different, of course.  If you have lots of
non-standard applications, or users have admin rights, this does not
work as well.

-- Ben