Do you have "enable integrated windows authentication" enabled on the browser?
I don't think it is on by default.
This is in IE options.  Not sure if you are using some other browser.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Melahn [mailto:den...@advancedav.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:59 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: IIS6 windows authentication question

Guys,

I have an internal website on a domain machine (S2K3) that I would like to keep
secure by using windows authentication. It is currently working ok except I
would like it to use windows authentication and not prompt the domain users for
their credentials. If windows authentication is selected why is it still
prompting for domain user credentials? What am I missing? Before I go seeking
some IIS forums I thought I bounce it off the people I trust first.

"If the authentication exchange initially fails to identify the user, the
browser will prompt the user for a Windows user account user name and password."

Thanks,
Dennis