+1 on not using Everyone & replacing it with Authenticated Users

Scott Kaufman

Lead Network Analyst

ITT ESI, Inc.

From: James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 10:51 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: File Server Security; Best Practice.

I must be extra anal - I set the share permissions to Authenticated
Users/Full Control :-)

2009/4/1 Ben Scott <mailvor...@gmail.com>

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Stephen Wimberly
<riverside...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I now have two coworkers that insist on adding user objects rather
than
> security groups directly to the file shares as well as specific
folders
> under the file share.

 As everyone else said, they're wrong.  Microsoft's best practices
documentation says this, somewhere.

 Also, in general, it's recommended not to use share permissions at
all.  Use NTFS permissions for access control, and set the shares to
Everyone/Full Control.  There are exceptions, but this is the good
rule.

-- Ben