From: Juned Shaikh [mailto:jsha...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 4:53 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Win2k8 - 64Bit on ESX

Hi:

I am tyring to understand this phenomena. HP DL380G4 with Intel Xeon3.0
GHz processor. Using Smartstart - I can install Windows 2008 - 64 Bit
edition. No problem.

Than I installed VMWare ESX 3.5 with latest updates. Trying to install
Same Windows 2008 - 64 Bit ; no go. It gives me the message

"Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not
compatible with 64-bit mode."

I am sure that CPU does support 64 Bit becuase I was able to install it
directly on the hardware.
Googling pointed to various direction including

1) checking the "Virtualization option" in BIOS - there is no option like
that

2) Modifying the line in .VMX file on HP servers
   SMBIOS.reflectHost=TRUE
   No affect.

3) Upgrading the firmware on the server - done - no change.

>From what I understand - VMWare ESX 3.5 doesn't have a 32 bit and 64-Bit
editions.

Any help idea to check further will be appreciated.

Thanks,

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the
message and any attachments.  Thank you.