Sharepoint is a collaboration environment.  If you just need simple
file shares, Sharepoint is a waste and will be less efficient.

If you need file checkout/checkin, versioning, limited workflow,
approvals, metadata, then Sharepoint may be a solution.

On a similar note, I was at a MS event yesterday and the guy said MS
is well on their way to replacing the majority of their file servers
with SharePoint.  However if you read the MS Press SharePoint Best
Practices, they have two pages on why Sharepoint should not completely
replace file shares.