  From: Sherry Abercrombie
  To: NT System Admin Issues
  Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:48 PM
  Subject: Re: Replacing Win2k3 DC

  Yeah, I think that's all you need to do.  It just makes it and Exchange aware
of one another.  We had to rebuild a DC recently, the other two dc's we have
hadn't had the domainprep run on them, and Exchange quit working (even though
the other two were global catalog servers), ran the domainprep and all was
happy again.

  As others have said but just to sum it all up:
  1.  build up your new dc
  2.  move FSMO roles
  3.  dcpromo old dc to demote it
  4.  and wait, we typically give it at least 24 hours if not more......

  At this point, you are in no hurry, you've replaced it with the new dc, just
let it sit for a day or two before removing it from the domain and scrapping
it.