How is external DNS set up? Forwarders? Root hints? I usually use
forwarders. See if you can ping the listed forwarders; then try a Nslookup
using those IPs as the server. Any firewall rules that might have been
inadvertently changed? It sounds like DNS queries aren't getting replies
from outside. Does internal DNS work?

You might throw wireshark on the box and see what the DNS queries do...

Charlie Kaiser
charl...@golden-eagle.org
Kingman, AZ