From: Sean Martin [seanmarti...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:32 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Disabling NETBIOS

Here is Microsoft's list of Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003's NetBIOS
dependencies.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837391

- Sean

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Ken Schaefer
<k...@adopenstatic.com<mailto:k...@adopenstatic.com>> wrote:
No - DNS suffixes can be appended transparently for you

Secondly, Exchange 2003 doesn't have a dependancy on NetBIOS that I know of. MS
Cluster service had a dependancy on NetBIOS name resolution (e.g. via WINS),
but that isn't an Exchange dependancy.

I don't know of any current Microsoft NetBIOS dependancies - I know a number of
people reasonably sized orgs with no WINS, so at best NetBIOS would local
collision domain only. Happy to be enlightened though.

Cheers
Ken