From: Ben Scott [mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:54 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Disabling NETBIOS

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Michael B. Smith
<mich...@owa.smithcons.com> wrote:
> That article should be taken out and SHOT. Microsoft doesn't change it
> because it's easier for PSS to say "install WINS" than it is to explain how
> to properly configure short name resolution.

  What do mean by "short name resolution" here?

  There's no protocol or API called "short name resolution", to the
best of my knowledge.  There's Internet domain name resolution (DNS
and the ...\etc\hosts file).  There's NetBIOS name resolution
(...\etc\lmhosts file, local broadcast, WINS).  Either one is capable
of taking a name without dots and turning it into an IP address,
assuming proper configuration.  On Windows, the standard
gethostbyname() call will try both Internet domain name resolution
and/or NetBIOS name resolution.

  By "short name resolution", do you just mean a properly configured
DNS search list, such that any unqualified name (without dots) can be
turned into a FQDN and resolved?

  In the paragraph you highlight, the sentence that troubles me is:

>> Exchange 2003 uses Windows name resolution APIs to look
>> up "short names," also known as NetBIOS names.

  To me, that suggests Exchange 2003 depends on NetBIOS name
resolution.  Of course, from what you're saying, the article is just
altogether inaccurate.

-- Ben