We have some Adaptec 3405 cards with Server 2003.  They work well.  We have
two boxes with 4 drives set to RAID 5, three more boxes with two drives set
to RAID 1.  Get the battery so you can enable the write cache.  Card and
battery was around $450.  The card runs HOT, make sure the box has
ventilation.  The array manager software has adequate alerting for our needs
(email, annoying alarm, write to evt log, etc).  They can use SATA II and
SAS drives.  We use SATA II and they are fast enough.  Never tried SAS
though.  Note that when writing, they are about 70% as fast as our Poweredge
servers using RAID5.

HTH, Devin

--
Devin