Got an odd problem with a client's setup. They had an SBS 2003 box that
smoked. We got them new hardware, installed SBS2008, everything's up and
working. Except for the printer. It's a Canon MF8180C. They use it as
networked printer and also want the fax and scan capability back.

Problem: Canon's toolbox software isn't available for the 64-bit OS. The
32-bit one won't install. They need the scan/fax capacity and don't want to
buy a different unit.
So my boss is thinking VMWare, 32-bit OS, install the print software, run it
from there.

Anyone tried it? I don't have any experience with the hardware
virtualization between the 32/64 -bit systems and what we might run into.
Sounds like a heck of a lot of work for a scanner...

We're considering hooking the thing up to an XP box via USB and setting up
the software on that instead, but there are physical limitations/issues with
doing that... I'm still pushing for that solution, though. A long USB cable
would be a LOT cheaper than setting up a VM... :-)

Charlie Kaiser
charl...@golden-eagle.org
Kingman, AZ