Sometimes, well a lot of times, a VM is the best way to do things.  As
someone said today where would we be without VM's?  Set up the VM and try it
out but make sure of the licensing before you put it into production.
Depending on the hardware you bought for the Win 2008 server and the
licensing you have you may just want to put up a Hyper-V instead of the
VMWare offering.  YMMV.

Jon