From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:07 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Best Verizon Smartphone?

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM, <richardmccl...@aspca.org> wrote:
> it seems Verizon disables the GPS system in the Blackberrys they
> supply

  More specifically, VZW tweaked the firmware to block anything but VZ
Navigator and E911 from accessing the built-in GPS.  Bastards.

  But!  For the 8830, at least, a recent firmware update *finally* un-did that.

8830AMEA_PBr4_1_.5.0_rel205_PL3.4.0.30_A4.5.0.138_Verizon_Wireless.EXE
Released 21 April 2009
Version 4.5.0.138 (platform 3.4.0.30)

  I hate Verizon with a passion, but people higher up than me decreed
Thou Shalt Use Them, so I have to make the best of it.  And I'll
grudgingly admit, they do have the best overall coverage in the US.

-- Ben