From: Ben Scott [mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:59 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Filter Vista security log to show only audit failures?

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Michael B.
Smith<mich...@owa.smithcons.com> wrote:
> Eh, the main changes in Vista (and Server 2008, and Win7 and Server 2008 R2,
> etc. etc.) were to provide the "programmer" with more control and fewer
> limitations.

  Yah, I saw all the additional logs Vista added.  I gather that's
great for app developers.  But we've also been told for years that all
the problems with the security log would be Fixed In The Next Release.
 Bah.  Humbug.

> Third parties are the solution (and yes, there are FREE as in OSS solutions
> in this space).

  Getting OSS solutions approved for the particular computers this is
needed for would be... problematic.

  Any commercial solutions you can recommend that *don't* require a
network, a server, and/or a domain?  Specifically for the logging of
changes to DACLs and SACLs.

-- Ben