What do you mean by "standard GPO"?  A custom .adm file?

I think most of us are doing this in GPO by running a startup script to run
a .reg file.

Carl

From: James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 5:57 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: WSUS and IE8

I managed to solve the problem here, but I am at a loss to explain it.

This morning I used Microsoft's .adm file to set the forty-odd killbits via
GPO for my server systems. Pretty soon after this I noticed IE8 being
offered on a number of servers. For some reason all the WSUS settings, which
are applied via GPO, were gone from the Registry. Running a gpupdate threw a
few "parameter incorrect" errors in the Application log on the GPO just
created, which then seemed to choke the rest of the GPOs off - even though
it reported successful application.

Seems, in the absence of the WSUS settings, my servers went "running home to
mama" and decided to pull in the IE8 update, the XML Core Services stuff,
and the June Malicious Software Removal tool from Windows Update. Deleting
the link to the new GPO, and running a gpupdate, then a wuauclt /detectnow,
has made them disappear again.

Pretty weird. I am now going to have the nice job of entering all those
killbits into a Group Policy Preference instead of a standard GPO. Just
thought I would share in case anyone else notices the same thing.