As of Exchange 2007 and above, installing Outlook on an Exchange server _IS_
supported and in some scenarios is actually required.

I can't think of any reason why you should not install Outlook on a DC, other
than a DC should be pristine.
From: Ben Scott [mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 6:01 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Installing Outlook 2007 on a server?

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Evan
Brastow<ebras...@automatedemblem.com> wrote:
> Assuming adequate CPU power, is there any known reason why I couldn’t
> installed Outlook 2007 on a server? It would either be a W2k3 Server domain
> controller, or a W2k Server box (non-dc) running Exchange 2003 Enterprise.

  If you install Outlook on an Exchange server, Exchange will stop working.

  The MAPI and/or CDO libraries are not compatible between the
Exchange client (Outlook) and the Exchange server.  I've long whined
that this is one of the most asinine design flaws in the history of
software engineering, but my opinion don't count for much with
Microsoft.  :)

  (I'm not suggesting reading mail on a server is a good idea, but
having client capability on the same server makes sense for diagnostic
purposes.)

> I’m leaning toward putting it on the former.

  I don't know for a fact that Outlook will break a DC.  I'm sure it's
a bad idea.  :)

  Use a virtual machine (VMWare Server is free) or a spare desktop PC
stuck in the server rack.

-- Ben