Greedy greedy.   You want everything, and from Microsoft.

This has been possible within Zenworks for years and I've used it as such.  Now
that I'm moving to AD I'm adjusting to the methods other folks in the thread
suggested.

Of course you could go out and get Zenworks, but that would be pretty expensive
for what you want to do.

A little off-topic but sometimes other vendors' products support the methods to
suit your business better than the Microsoft model and you may need to look
around.

>>> Ben Scott <mailvor...@gmail.com> 8/3/2009 7:45 PM >>>
  Since I'm apparently not explaining this very well, let me emphasize:

*** I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DO THIS WITH GPO PERMISSIONS. ***

  :-)

  I am/was trying to explain a concept for a better way.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Kurt Buff<kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I put all of my service accounts in a separate OU.

  We do the same here.  Although in this case, these aren't service
accounts.  They're special role accounts used for interactive logon to
various computers.  Those computers run application-specific software
to do things like acquire data from test equipment, or provide the UI
for manufacturing equipment, or whatever.  The log off scripts do
things like clean up files, run backups, close down processes cleanly,
etc.  Most of it is needed due to brain damage in vendor systems.
There's a lot of that out there, as I'm sure you're aware.

> I suspect - we aren't using GPOs here, really - that assigning
> them to the OU, then limiting them by individual users, or
> by groups with single users in them, as he is implying,
> will do exactly what you want.

  You don't even need the groups; it works for individual users, as
you suggest.  You just create the GPO, linked to the OU the account
object is in, remove the default ACE which "allows" <Apply Group
Policy> for the <Everyone> subject, then add an ACE to "allow" <Apply
Group Policy>, with the subject being the user account in question.

  It would be cleaner and easier to do if every user object could just
have a GPO associated with it directly.  This would be analogous to
how every machine has a GPO of its own.  Suppose a button in the user
properties dialog to edit the GPO for that user.

-- Ben

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
message.