From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:55 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Generic Vista install without OEM shovelware

Hello all,

  Per management order,  I just picked up a side-client.  They just
bought an HP Pavilion desktop PC.  It came with a Vista Home Premium
OEM license.  HP pre-loads tons of shovelware that I'd rather not
have.  It verges on coming pre-installed with malware.  HP's restore
kit will only restore to "factory condition", i.e., shovelware.  Even
if you order the discs from HP.  I called HP, and their customer
support (quite craptacular, BTW) said I couldn't order just an OS
install disc.

  I'd like to just tell them "return the HP and buy a Dell" (even
Dell's home PCs come with a vanilla OS install CD), but they've
already tossed the box and everything.  Sigh.  I'd forgotten how much
I *don't* miss this aspect of SOHO IT.

  Does anyone know of some way to get a clean, vanilla, generic Vista
install on this?  Short of buying a whole 'nother license, I mean.  It
has the COA sticker with Product Key on the side of the chassis.  Can
I use an OEM CD from a Dell with that Product Key?  Is there a way
order generic Vista Home Premium OEM media from Microsoft?

  advTHANKSance

-- Ben