From: James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 3:59 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Change control (was RE: [On-Topic] Patching with PSEXEC)

I've worked for a number of outsourcing companies and the change control is
always very tight. It's the only way they can do it, but I admit it is
completely inflexible for the client - particularly those that retain IT
staff who now have to watch their systems managed by others who don't
understand the particular intricacies of the business or the infrastructure.

You are right about good change control being right in the middle of the
change control spectrum. Can't say I've ever found a company that managed to
strike the balance exactly right though.

The reason my boss gets away with his cowboy approach is because he is
prepared to sit there for 36 hours+ trying to get it working. I, on the
other hand, am not. He bodges solutions together and then expects me to
sanitize them and make them supportable.I love his approach though - he
breaks something, then sends an email out to let users know that it is
broken, and then puts the fastest fix in place he can find - usually
reverting to where he started. He once deleted a snapshot I took before I'd
finished testing, and made me completely unable to roll back my changes. He
never seems to face any repercussions because our users (who are probably
used to things packing up during the day) are happy as long as they get
informed as to what's busted. Things would be much smoother if I could run
them my way, but that's unlikely to happen because he is popular amongst the
golf-playing directorship (ain't it always the same?) I, on the other hand,
prefer boxing to golf and have an unfortunate habit of calling a spade a
spade, which seems to preclude me from breaking into the management "click".
Ho-hum. Still - it's only ten minutes drive from home :-)