At 8:46 am today you wrote this.

"I've checked the other symptoms.  All "pass", except for not being able to
run TaskMgr.exe.  The CLI app "TaskList.exe" runs fine, as does the ability
to lock the screen, change password, run Windows Update, turn IE tool bars
on-and-off, etc.

I have now booted into Safe Mode (I ran across a root kit that prevented
that recently) and am running a full MBytes scan in Safe Mode.
Again, I am _not_ finding any of the registry settings which have been
reported elswhere. "

You did?  Were you possibly talking about another machine?

Jon