Coming into this late...but I remember this happening to a friend a year or
so ago.  Turns out he installed Process Explorer then deleted it...
This post details the same circumstances (not my exprience, but my google fu
found it now and back then).
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Cannot_run_Taskmgr_exe_Window_XP_t90973.html&gopid=456620#entry456620