From: Ziots, Edward [mailto:ezi...@lifespan.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:31 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Question on Upgrade process

Just like to quickly bounce this off the list.

I have a task to upgrade a set of Domain Controllers from Windows 2003 SP1, to
Windows 2003 SP2 accordingly.

Do most of you do the DC's without the FSMO roles, first, and then do dcdiag,
netdiag, and repadmin  then do the servers with the FSMO roles accordingly? Do
you usually move your FSMO Roles before you upgrade the machines accordingly?

I haven't seen any issues in the 100+ upgrades that have been done already but
given these are the DC's just a little leery about replication issues, failure
of a role-server etc etc afterwards.

Has anyone seen or experienced anything negative in there travels through the
SP upgrade route?

Edward Ziots
Network Engineer
Lifespan Organization
MCSE,MCSA,MCP+I, ME, CCA, Security +, Network +
ezi...@lifespan.org<mailto:ezi...@lifespan.org>
Phone:401-639-3505