On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Miguel Gonzalez
<miguel_3_gonza...@yahoo.es> wrote:
> The funny thing is that I'm required admin credentials but if i cancel, i can
> still access the data. It seems that it requires the admin credential to
> install the software? That's a little bit weird, isn't it?

  Sadly, no.  (The weird part.)  Quite a few USB flash drives come
pre-loaded with software that's not much better than a virus, in my
opinion.  It will automatically try to install itself on every machine
it touches.  Some of it also allows you to auto-run other software on
the flash drive.  Gee, a writable media we're carrying from computer
to computer -- especially random Internet cafe PCs -- that
automatically executes software present on it.  What could go wrong?

  I know the U3 software has a special uninstaller you have to run to
disable it and reclaim the wasted space.  Some others you can just
"FORMAT /Q".

  While we're on the subject, I recommend blocking AUTORUN.INF entirely.

1. Create a new registry key:
NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf
2. Set the default value of that key to: @SYS:DoesNotExist

  Also consider a Windows Security Software Restriction Policy that
prevents software from running from removable media entirely.

-- Ben