On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not that bad...
>
> What a ringing endorsement! Heh.

  You left out "... if you're coming from BSD".  I took tat as more of
a comment that a Windows-only guy who can't live without a mouse would
be lost.  That would be my take as well.  CentOS ain't BSD, but it's
got far more in common than it has apart.  Moving from one to the
other should be pretty easy.

  The biggest difference (for purposes of this conversation) would be
the firewall stuff.  Linux has its own thing (called "iptables" and
"netfilter"), while the BSDs have pf/ipfw/ipfilter.  Unfortunately,
iptables uses very different syntax vs *pf*.  I haven't used the BSD
firewall stuff much, but my impression was that it was superior to
Linux.  I think Linux has finally caught up in terms of functionality,
but the syntax is still cleaner with BSD.  Still, Linux can do the job
well for most things, so it's usually not a deal-breaker.

  You may want to check out Gentoo, which I'm told is basically a
Linux built like a BSD.  They use "ports" and everything.  Hardware
support for one distro often means hardware support for another is
trivial.  (It depends on whether they used a portable kernel interface
or not.)  So the fact that Sangoma works with Fedora may well mean it
can be made to work with Gentoo with minimal effort.

-- Ben