I am currently tasked to get rid of our ineffective Symantec Mail Security
which is, at the moment, our only anti-spam defense (besides Outlook's junk
mail folder). We have about 500 users running on Exchange 2007 with several
different domains.

I have trawled the archives of the list getting some suggestions for various
appliances/software/hosted solutions. I was wondering what the community
considered to be the best configuration for an org of our size. Our problems
with Symantec are that if it is turned down, we have too much spam getting
through, and when turned up high, it is still letting enough spam through to
be annoying whilst pulling out some rather important false positives. Cost
is not usually too much of an issue for us (we have ESX, Citrix MPS4,
XenApp, AppSense, SCOM and SCCM amongst our chunkier products), but if there
is something cheaper (especially for non-profits), that could be factored
in. I'd also be interested in anything that did antivirus as well, as I am
not convinced by Symantec's products at all.

Do most people favour the belt-and-braces solution for smaller orgs - a
hosted solution or appliance at the edge and software running on Exchange?
Or are there any products out there that do the job well enough on their
own? From looking at the archives it seems that IronPort and
the-product-formerly-known-as-Ninja are two of the most highly recommended.
Does anyone have any particular recommendations for hosted solutions -
MessageLabs seems to be quite highly-rated, and I'm tempted by the pricing
of Google's offering.

Finally, I was wondering if any of MS' products (like ForeFront) are worth a
look?

Sorry for rambling on, all advice, hints, tips, gratefully received and
compiled.

JRR

--
"On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able

http://raythestray.blogspot.com