>  Be aware that if time is out-of-tolerance by more than a certain amount (5
> minutes?  an hour?  I forget),

5 minutes +/- is the default tolerance required by Kerberos in an AD
environment. I imagine that is why that number sticks in your memory.

The time service has its own sanity checking about offsets just like NTP, in
windows it is configurable and can be somewhat fussy and I don't recommend
mucking with it to try to get correction for balky clocks. IME, usually
anything over a minute on a domain joined PC will cause the time service to
panic. That's where net time /set /yes comes in real handy to get it back in
close enough to the DC that the time service will take over.

OTOH- There have been some cases where "very bad things happened"[1] and there
is now guidance from MS about large offset. We found out about this from our
last ADRAP.

How to configure the Windows Time service against a large time offset
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;884776

" The default value for the MaxPosPhaseCorrection and MaxNegPhaseCorrection
registry entries in Windows 2000, in Windows XP, in Windows Server 2003, and in
Windows Vista is the following value:0xFFFFFFF This value enables the computer
to receive the time that is contained in any time sample, regardless of
inaccuracy.
In Windows Server 2008, a new default value for the MaxPosPhaseCorrection and
MaxNegPhaseCorrection registry entries has been adopted. This new default value
is 48 hours."

[1] My characterization. The w32time guys at MS have a different one[2]

[2] "The problem, lovingly titled as the "Large Time Jump" issue involves a
machine in the domain (usually the PDC) making a large jump in time, either
forward or backwards. Regardless of the direction of the jump, the results are
equally catastrophic."[3]

[3]
http://blogs.msdn.com/w32time/archive/2008/02/28/configuring-the-time-service-max-pos-neg-phasecorrection.aspx

If you are interested in the workings of w32time, the blog is an invaluable
reference. I wish they had it years ago when I struggled with the service in
NT/W2K.