From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:37 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Hard disk technology (was: Disk based backup)

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Alverson, Tom (Xetron)
<tom.alver...@ngc.com> wrote:
>>  Modern hard drives can sustain, what, maybe 0.4 to 0.6 Gbit/sec?
>> Even the 3 Gbit/sec we have now is much higher than that.  How is
>> moving to 6 Gbit/sec going to help?  :)
>
> All they need to do is upgrade the (on-board) controllers to operate
all
> the heads in parallel.  For a 4 platter drive (8 heads) they could get
> an immediate 8X improvement in real read and write speeds.

  But that's got nothing to do with any particular revision of the
SATA standard, right?  You can interleave data across heads whether
it's SATA, SCSI, or PATA.  Even PATA hard drives have been presenting
synthetic C/H/S geometry for something like a decade now, so it's not
like the controllers don't already have to do the job.

  And given that *current* hard drives can't even keep up with SATA at
1.5 Gbit/sec, I would then ask: Why haven't they done this already?
Or have they already, and the speeds we see today are *with*
interleaving?

  (I'll ignore for the time being that most consumer hard disks these
days only have one or two heads anyway.)

-- Ben